If you use a good quality straightening iron and take proper care, you will be able to straighten hair without much damage. The most important point to remember while using a straightening iron is the temperature. If you have a good quality hair straightener, you will have an option to adjust the temperature.
Adjust the temperature according to your hair type. For fine or slightly damaged hair, use 250 to 300 degree F temperature. For hair of average thickness use 300 to 350 degree F and for hair which is thick, coarse or frizzy use 350 to 400 degree F. Follow these simple steps to straighten your hair using a straightening iron.
- Wash your hair thoroughly and blow-dry
- Apply a heat protection spray
- Properly divide your hair into small sections and layers.
- Set your straightening iron to the correct and apt temperature
- Start straightening your hair with the lowest layer (just above your neck).
- Immediately stop if you see your hair starts to sizzle.
- Examine in a mirror to make sure you haven’t missed out any layer or section.
- If you are done with straightening, apply any good quality finishing product such as hairspray or fixer.